The South West Open Youth Orchestra – a pioneering new regional ensemble providing a unique progression route for young disabled musicians.
OpenUp Music are searching for young disabled musicians to join the pioneering South West Open Youth Orchestra. This is a radical new regional orchestra, led by young disabled musicians who want to progress to the next level.
- Any instrument considered, including music technology
- The potential to play music with passion and perseverance
- You don’t need grade exams or to have played in an orchestra before
- For young disabled people age 11 – 25 (non-disabled young musicians to be auditioned later to make this an inclusive ensemble)
What will it involve?
- Regular rehearsals in different locations around the South West, Autumn 2015 onwards
- The opportunity to co-design your own bespoke musical instrument to take home and practice on
- A residential rehearsal at Star College Cheltenham early April 2016
- High profile public performances from April 2016 onwards
They urgently need more young disabled musicians to be signposted to them to get the numbers up to at least 12 young people. The next audition takes place at Plymouth Music Zone on 28th November and they can also travel to see other young people who may wish to audition in other parts of the region.
“ANY young disabled musician in SW UK should seriously go for this. It is AWESOME” – Charles Hazlewood, British Paraorchestra.
If you’re interested, know someone else who might be, or even know someone who might know someone else who might be, please email Open Up Music for more info! firstname.lastname@example.org